Saturday 28 July 2012

Kitchen Experiment #5 Holy Guacamole !

Our family lived in Northbrook, Illinois for close to 4 years. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in the neighborhood was San Gabriel Mexican Cafe. My husband and I would usually cap off the week with a glass or two of their phenomenal Margaritas alongside freshly made tortilla chips and Guacamole en Molcajete. Their version of guacamole is made table side on a molcajete, a bowl carved from volcanic rock . I loved it a lot that I searched far and wide to buy my own molcajete so I can make an authentic version of this healthy dip at home anytime.

Method:

I started out by chopping some onions, garlic, tomatoes, Haas avocados, and cilantro. I then squeezed the juice of one lime.



I put some of the chopped onions, garlic, tomatoes, lime juice and sea salt on the molcajete and pounded them into a paste.  The salt helps break down the chunks thus releasing more flavor out of these ingredients.



I then added half of the chopped avocados and tomatoes, put in more lime juice, salt and pepper and mashed everything together. For extra chunkiness, I added the rest of the chopped onions and tomatoes without mashing them. Lastly, I garnished the dip with some chopped cilantro.



It was a perfect snack while watching the opening of the 2012 London Olympics.



Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment