Saturday 21 July 2012

Kitchen Experiment #1: Trying out Peameal Bacon

Kitchen Experiment #1: Trying out Peameal Bacon

At the grocery store today, I chanced upon a different kind of bacon -- peameal bacon.  The information on the packaging screamed “I’m the healthier bacon!” with 85% less fat and 40% less salt. So I didn't think twice on putting it in my cart.

Peameal bacon....what is it? Obviously, I was not raised in Canada to know that this type of bacon originated from Canada and that peameal bacon sandwiches are considered to be a signature dish of Toronto with its most famous versions sold at the St. Lawrence Market.

Method:

When I opened the package, it did seem like the healthier brother of the traditional pork belly bacon since it came as slices of trimmed boneless pork loin rolled in ground yellow cornmeal. To cook them, I followed the suggested stove top cooking method which is to pan fry the slices over medium heat on a lightly oiled cooking surface 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once.



I served the bacon with English muffins, cheese, soft scrambled eggs and some fruit to complete the meal. Breakfast is served !



Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment